Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bucket Day!


Market day finally arrived! (i.e. the day the girls across the hall agreed to accompany me to Makola Market, because according to them, "You can't go alone!!") And I am now the proud owner of a bucket (and some other necessities).

*Great sigh of relief*

Shopping in Accra is NOTHING like anything I've ever encountered, even in Ecuador or Black Friday at the mall. I'm attaching a few pictures for your viewing pleasure, but sadly they really don't capture the stifling hot energy of the place. Chisom (my friend across the hall) wouldn't let me take my camera out for more than 1 minute though, because she was already worried about my safety. (Chisom: "Meghan you walk between me and Fareedah, for safety." "Meghan stay with us!")

Bargaining was also a challenge. Chisom and Fareedah would succesfully bargain a price, and then when I popped out from behind whatever I was casually hiding, the vendor would see me (read: my white skin) and immediately try to raise the price. But we did alright. Kaneshie Market is next, where I'll visit the tailor to have a dress made. Woohoo!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Megan, quite the adventure. Thanks for the pictures and the stories; I look forward to reading about all your future experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true that, where's the bucket??

    can you not shower for two days and push a car around for a couple of miles next time we hang out? i wanna see what that stench is like :)

    ReplyDelete