Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Benefits of Living at the ISH

Did you know that Nigeria is the densest nation in Africa, accounting for close to 80% of the population of all of sub-Saharan Africa?

Neither did I, until this year.

I live in the "International Student Hostel" (the ISH, as people call it) here at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, which means that I live with roughly 75% Nigerians, 20% Ghanaians, and 5% "Other." Accordingly, I have lots of opportunities to learn about Nigeria.

Just last night I spent an hour discussing political perceptions of the country versus actual living standards with Kola, a Nigerian student studying medicine here in Ghana. I learned that yes you do need to be really careful in Lagos as opposed to Accra, that Nigerians may actually have more in common with Americans than with Ghanaians, and that the countryside is even more beautiful than Ghana's. And last week my dorm hosted a "Durbar" to welcome new students: a Durbar is a giant Nigerian party. I've also learned that Niger and Nigeria are two totally different countries. A little confusing, but hooray for improved geography skills. :)

This opportunity has been really interesting. Who knew that by coming to Ghana I'd learn so much about Nigeria?

Unfortunately, this article

http://allafrica.com/stories/200911180368.html

shows the downside of Nigeria. Most of my colleagues here agree on the levels of corruption and danger in the country. They did come to Ghana to study for a reason after all...

2 comments: