Saturday, October 10, 2009

The 2 Akosuas visit Kaneshie

Just to clear the air regarding my feelings toward Germany, I’m quite pleased to announce that I’ve found a wonderful new traveling companion in Kirsten, a visiting medical student from Berlin. Not only were we both born in the year of the Pig, but we also both have the same Ghanaian name: Akosua, meaning “Sunday-born.” Today, we navigated Accra by tro-tro (in the city traffic they can’t speed aha!) and visited both Labadi Beach (“La Beach” to the locals) and Kaneshie Market. In the words of my favorite Kazakh, Great Success!

La Beach is typically entered through the Labadi Beach Hotel. However, my half-marathoning experience showed me an alternate entrance. Here's the site of the Marathon finish, as well as my new secret entrance. No entrance fee for us, mwahahaha!

Views to the left and right:

Unfortunately, some locals got a little frisky on us. Some guy actually got in Kirsten's face and started pulling on her bag (I had walked away quickly. Maybe I'm not the best companion in a scrap?) so we took our cue to leave and headed off to the market.....


Getting measured for dresses!

Posing with some kids who were amazed by our cameras...

Kaneshie was just amazing. It's known for its variety of foodstuffs, and although I couldn't get any pictures, I saw goat skins for sale, cow legs, GIANT snails (still alive), crabs (also still alive, but for a small fee the vendor would rip their heads off!), and well, anything else you can possibly imagine...

2 comments:

  1. Wait - where is Kaneshie? Is it near La beach? i want a Ghanaian dress! Also the dress you have on in the picture is like super cute! NICE TAN MAN... i'm jealous. its fall here now... cold... but nice for runs.

    Kirsten sounds fun (hallo Kirsten! Nett dass Du meine kleine Freundin Meghan kennengelernt hast und nun auf ihren Abenteuern in Ghana begleitest :) lg unbekannterweise! ... Meg that was a nice a little message to Kirsten! Tell her thanks for being my little meggles german companion in my absence! hehe

    Maybe you should go to Berlin for New Years with Kirsten and then maybe I'll come too? I have to see if that will be possible (since I wasn't really planning on it), but ... maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. your hair is so shortt...

    and i agree with miriam, that's a nice dress you got there.

    ReplyDelete