Thursday, October 8, 2009

University of Ghana

The University of Ghana is the country's premier university, and its main campus is in Legon, just on the outskirts of Accra. Students come from all over the country to study here, where they can get a 4-year degree or begin medical, law, nursing, or another professional course of study. My roommate Amma got her degree in Nutrition at "Legon" before entering medical school, and she encouraged me to visit. In fact, every alumnus of Legon that I've encountered at Korle-Bu has encouraged me to visit. They have a real nostalgia for the place! So I went off to see it for myself...

One of the main courtyards:



Courtyard in the middle of one of the largest dorms. Nice right?



Volta Hall, the all-female dorm:
(Note their motto, "Ladies with Vision and Style")




In contrast, check out the motto of the Male-Only Dorm:

(Note: my friend wouldn't let me go inside "Vandal City" because I was wearing a red shirt and according to him, "Red is their color. They'll go CRAZY if they see you in it!" hmmm......silly boys. Some things never change....)

Scenic spot at the top of campus where you can look over all of Accra. Students have been banned from this area because of some "nighttime revelry" here. Silly administration.....



Ah, hooray. This next picture from the food court area shows how Legon makes it easy for the socially awkward among us (*cough* me *cough*) and tells us point-blank where "nice people meet!"



Botanical gardens on the edge of campus:


3 comments:

  1. Nice university! What sort of subjects do they offer? How many students? Nice flowers and fountain!! We would have totally skinny-dipped there ;) Or maybe worn red bikinis, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the taco bell sign made me laugh. i must travel there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I like your post. I'd give anything to study at this University it seems vast and all encompassing. My Graduate degree is in Forensic Psychology but I would love to continue with a Ph.D at the University of Ghana. A a US citizen I don't know how to make this happen, so I'll just continue to route for Ghana from here! Thanks all. Best of luck.
    ================================
    StreamAfrica

    ReplyDelete